At the start of the year, the Egyptian government, and more particularly the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, announced the launch of the initiative Summer in Upper Egypt ((summer in Upper Egypt) aiming to revive tourist activity in the region by revising a large number of prices on the products offered to future visitors.
Among these targeted products, tourist visa simple entry which, depending on nationality, can be obtained upon arrival in the country for $ 25, before departure at the embassy or online with the e-Visa.
According to the initiative and during the months of June, July and August next, the price of the tourist visa issued on arrival at the international airports of Luxor and Aswan will be reduced by $ 10, increasing to $ 15.
Other rates will be lowered next month thanks to this initiative, such as the costs of access to archaeological sites and museums, closed since March 23, which will be halved.
On March 2, the Egyptian Prime Minister, Mostafa Madbouli, announced that international tourists holding visas, physical or electronic, could soon extend the validity of their visa up to 5 years instead of the maximum 90 days currently offered.
The Egyptian authorities have still not announced a specific date for the reopening of the borders of the country, closed since March 19, 2020, nor resumption of its international air links but Egypt seems eager to welcome international tourists again.
Proof of this is, since May 18, 2020, hotel establishments in the country have resumed their activities, with new health regulations, operating at 25% of their capacity for the rest of May and then capped at 50% for the month of June.
The Egyptian Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities specifies that “all establishments have undergone compulsory sterilization before reopening and must pass an audit to ensure that they meet the new hygiene standards, which includes the supply, to staff and customers, of masks, gloves and equipment personal protection (PPE), contactless check-in, temperature controls for customers, baggage sterilization and providing hand sanitizer“.
Hotels are not allowed to organize parties, weddings, entertainment activities and to offer open buffets. The hotel restaurants only serve predefined menus and have arranged their tables with spaces of 2 meters.
- Each room can accommodate a maximum of two adults, or two adults and one child in the family room
- Personal protective equipment must be provided to employees and guests
- Elevators can be used to a maximum of 50% of capacity
- Good ventilation must be guaranteed in all areas
- Valet parking is prohibited
- Casinos can accommodate a maximum of 50% of the total capacity of guests with the use of all personal protective equipment
- It is necessary to set up a space specifically dedicated to the quarantine of suspect cases
- Registration must be done electronically or with disposable pens
- Luggage must be sterilized before check-in and check-out
- The temperature will be measured at each entrance to public spaces
- The disinfectant must be present at the reception
- Common areas should be cleaned frequently and there should be particularly careful management of people with chronic illnesses or over 65
Conditions of workers
- Use a maximum of 50% of the workforce, at which body temperature will be measured daily
- Staff returning from vacation will be quarantined for 14 days before starting
- The Egyptian Tourism Federation and the Egyptian Hotel Association are responsible for providing rapid tests to detect the virus in hotels, which bear the cost.
- Separate accommodation is provided for hotel employees and is not crowded
- Older workers or workers with chronic illnesses should not be employed in jobs requiring direct contact with clients
- Buffet service is prohibited in restaurants
- Hookah is prohibited
- Customers need to measure temperature
- The distance between the dining tables is not less than 2 meters and 1 meter between one person and another at the table
- Large tables for families will not exceed 6 chairs
- Whenever possible, disposable cutlery should be used
- Each table must be equipped with sterilizers and disinfectant wipes
Pools and beaches
- Constant disinfection of swimming pools with the use of the maximum concentration of chlorine (5 mg / l) and bromine (10 mg / l), capable of neutralizing the virus, is compulsory
- The area around the beach and the swimming pool must be cleaned, including the tables, deckchairs, deckchairs used by each client before and after the end of use
- There should be at least 2 meters between one bed and the other, and beach towels will be placed in the bedrooms to reduce contact between people
- Recreational activities on beaches and pools will be minimized
Gyms and spa
- Surfaces should be cleaned every hour, disinfect the gym thoroughly after use, including bathrooms, separators used for showers
- Use of hot tubs, saunas, steam, and massages is prohibited
- Visitors outside the hotel are not allowed
Cleaning and laundry
- Rooms must be cleaned daily according to the instructions of the Ministry of Health, as well as frequently cleaned and sterilized surfaces, such as common areas and public toilets, every hour
- The complete cleaning of the rooms after the departure of the guests must be carried out and the furniture and fabrics must be disinfected with a steam engine
- Dirty clothes and pool towels should be washed at high temperature
- Bed linen should not be changed daily and you should rely more on self-service laundromats
- Finally, the orders of the ministries of health and the environment relating to the safe disposal of waste must be respected
Diving and activities
- The equipment – regulator, jacket, mask and snorkel, diving suit – must be sterilized by immersing it in a solution of bleach (chlorine) at a concentration of 10%
- It is necessary to ensure the cleanliness of surfaces and areas such as bathrooms, door handles, seats
- Restrictions must be placed on the number of passengers on board
- During the trip, the equipment must not be shared for any reason
- It is necessary to have antipyretics on board the boat and at the point of departure and also to measure the temperature of the passengers
- A list of participants and operators of the excursion must be provided
Supervision and control
- The project manager signs a declaration in which he undertakes to comply with the rules and conditions for authorization of operations
- An own register of the procedures and measures implemented must be created
- It is mandatory to report any suspicious case, both employees and guests
- In case of violation of rules and regulations, the hotel manager’s permit will be revoked and the establishment’s activity will be suspended
Stay informed of the latest international news on travel formalities, directly from ministries and embassies, on the pages of TourMaG.com or with Action-Visas.com.