Chartres is a city where I would bring my little family! I had the opportunity to discover this city on a press trip, going through the Véloscénie and I really liked it. Theatmosphere was very pleasant and the visit to the crypts of the cathedrals at night was amazing. I’ll link you to the article below!
But today it’s Sophie telling us about her city!
City to discover: Chartres with the family
Can you present, give us the ages of your children?
We are a couple with 2 children (15 and 10 years old). We have lived in Chartres for 8 years.
What are the 5 reasons to discover Chartres with the family?
- Chartres is a medium-sized city on a human scale, but with all the facilities and leisure activities
- It’s a lively city especially in summer with festivals, concerts in town
- Chartres owns the largest aquatic complex in France
- From April to October, you can discover Chartres in the spotlight in the evening until late at night
- Chartres is one hour from Paris so you can combine visits to the two cities or combine with the discovery of Loire’s castles
What to visit in Chartres with children?
- Stroll through the city, the lower town (historic district), Chartres cathedral and the possibility of climbing one of the towers to gain height
- Stroll along the river along the Eure and go to the park on the banks of the Eure to ride a pedal boat and have a drink at La Guinguette
- Visit the Picassiette house, house and garden made entirely in mosaic by Raymond Isidore
- Discover Chartres by night with Chartres by light from April to October
- Visit the Maintenon Castle and its beautiful garden, 15 km from Chartres.
>> See my article presenting my discovery of this region via the Véloscénie
Can you share with us 3 things locals love to do on weekends?
- Stroll the along the banks of the Eure on foot or by bike and stop for a picnic
- Go cool off at theOdyssey, the largest aquatic complex of France
- Rediscover Chartres in light in the evening and see all the monuments illuminated and have a drink on the terrace
Do you have any good addresses to share?
- Have a drink at the Guinguette on the banks of the Eure
- Restaurants: Le Terra (Italian), Mughal (Indian), Phare St Louis (crêperie), Café Bleu
What to see around Chartres with the family?
- Discover the Eure et Loir: a nice region that I discovered twice, during a press trip to the Velosceny, and the time of a weekend in this beautiful region
- Maintenon castle: which offers booklets for visits with children
- Go in a hot air balloon
- The Loire’s castles are only at 1:30!
Tourist information to prepare your stay in Chartres with a child
How to get to Chartres with the family?
- By car: from Paris: 1h30 via the A10 and A11 – From Lyon: 5h via the A6 then the A10 – From Nantes: 3h via the A11 – From Bordeaux: 5.15am via the A10 – From Marseille: 8.15am via the A7 and A71
- By train:
Where to stay with the family in Chartres?
Here are the different hotels and guest houses that I recommend in the region:
- Bed and Breakfast La Bergerie de l’Aqueduc : a very nice house, by the river for a quiet weekend. 30 minutes from Chartres
- The Colombier de Hanche : A superb property with swimming pool 40 minutes from Chartres, to better discover the region
- All our articles on Chartres
- Weekends and holidays in France
- All our tested accommodations